Wednesday 8 February 2017

Personal Branding

Question: Ultimate review: How do each of these areas connect to your personal branding?

The areas covered such as the body language, tone and emotions affects how you portray yourself to an external party. For instance, if you are applying for a job,  it is important to note that your non-verbal cues will also impact other's decision in hiring you. We need to be aware of our actions and behaviors be it online or offline as this will also affect people's perception of us. In terms of social media, we need to know what we should and should not do or it might bring down our reputation and how people perceive us. 

In order to make improvements, we should also interact with people so that we can identify our strengths and weaknesses. Moreover, we have to be open to feedback and also take it as a learning opportunity.  Therefore, having a good personal branding will make you stand out from others and eventually build confidence.
_________________________________________________________________________________
(Edited & Updated on 8 February 2017)
In my opinion, personal branding refers to how well you know yourself in order to portray a good image to others. Throughout the sharing session, there are several areas that I have identified and should improve on.

Firstly, one of the takeaways is having a high IQ does not necessary translate to a high EQ. Being a university student, I am very concerned with the grades that I get as it tells me how much effort I have put in. However, being too focused on grades may neglect or distance relationships. Hence, I feel that I should also put in more effort in building interpersonal relationships with people around me. This is a very important aspect in the workplace. For instance, a person can be promoted to be a manager based on his outstanding results but have problems managing people. Therefore, working on my EQ would allow me to be a better team player in the prospective organization. 

Secondly, I should also work on my non-verbal communication skills. I have an issue maintaining eye contact when I am engaged in a conversation or during presentation. Personally, I feel nervous when the audience maintain their eye contact at my presentation. It makes me worried when they give puzzled facial expressions. However, after going through various presentation experience coupled with observing other students’ presentations made me realized that eye contact is important to show your fullest attention to the presenter.

Lastly, the 7Cs is also an important aspect of communication. I think it is a challenge for me to fulfill all the seven criteria. In writing reports or presentation, I will definitely miss out on some of the criteria such as being correct. This meant that it should be free from grammatical or vocabulary errors which I am not confident and still in the process of learning to make changes.


These are the main areas that I should improve on and will add value to my personal branding, which eventually builds up my confidence level. 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent. Great usage of concepts taught in class (i.e. tone, body language etc.) and gave good examples in applications in a real life scenario. Writing was clear, concise and concrete. Well organized sentence and delivery of the ideas and examples. Idea was coherent and logical as alot of the examples given was relatable and understandable.

    May want to consider explaining further on the how the specific concepts can be used, applied and affect instead of giving an overall example of the 3 items discussed in the post. (i.e. emphasize more on what type of people we should or should not hang out with) Overall, I enjoyed reading your post and I looking forward to reading more of it in the future.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million, Sharon, for making the changes. This now is a very clear reflection on your own skills development and how this will "value add" to your personal brand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brad, thanks for pointing out what is the correct way of writing this post. Appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete